Sunday, January 23, 2011

If you learn it...

they will hire you.  That is what I heard when I went back to school.  Get your degree and you will find a career.  Not a job.  I have 2 of those.  I want a career.  And so, after much debate I decided to teach for multiple reasons, not one of which was the fact that you get summers off.  I chose teaching because:  1. I like learning and as a teacher you continue to learn as you teach.  2.  The AHA moments are worth the work.  You know the ones I mean.  When someone has no clue and suddenly their face lights up and they go AHA, I get it!!!  3.  I am good at teaching.  I can tie together multiple subjects and incorporate literature into a lesson and make it relevant.  How many of your teachers did that on a regular basis?  Sad to say, not many of mine could.  And so...here I sit degree in hand.  Now, I will grant you that my degree is in Liberal Studies and not Education.  However, I enrolled immediately in Tarleton State University's TMATE program and have passed 3 content area tests with ease.  So, I am perfectly capable of teaching 4-8 and 8-12 ELAR (English Language Arts Reading) and 4-8 Generalist (Which means anything in those grades).  And yet do I have a position?  The answer is a resounding NO!!!  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the TMATE program it is a Master level education prep. program where I take classes with professors (in person mind you) just like a regular teaching program.  I simply do not have student teaching experience.  That is the difference. 

And so...here I am half-way through with my Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction with no teaching job.  Therefore, I have what I have come to call Classroom ENVY.  This blog will be my way of sharing what I learn, how I cope, what I want, and hopefully how I maintain my sense of humor and sanity throughout the process.  Wish me luck.  Those of you who know me know that I am slightly off kilter as it is.   I mean who corrects strangers grammar and reads anything from Army field manuals to Shakespeare?  Oh right, that would be me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us! I know you'll be an excellent teacher. You may not have classroom experience, but "Mommy" is the best school ever, you are a life teacher to your kids. That's experience worth more than it's weight in gold.

    ReplyDelete